Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Purpo
Just finished watching "My Sister's Keeper", and what a sad, but thought-provoking movie! If you haven't seen it and don't want me to ruin the ending, then I wouldn't read this blog..just a disclaimer. Anyway, as I sat crying in Panera, I realized that I wasn't crying because this girl undeservingly had to die. I was crying because I realized the purpose that, as a society, we've created for ourselves. Is our purpose not to live? Almost everything we do, or don't do, is a result of trying to maintain our life. We're sick? We go to the doctor. We're hurt? We go to the doctor. We're smart? We find cures. It's risky? Don't do it. And, I'm not saying that it's wrong for us to have created such a purpose, but when can we make the decision to finally go? We always ask the question, how do you want to die? For me, I couldn't tell you. I know I want to live my life out, but if I die to save or help another family member or friend or person in general, then I am okay with that as well. I don't want to live until I take my last struggling breath at the age of 102. What's the purpose of living such a long life? Why not stop taking precautions, live life how I want, and if it takes my life, then so be it! At least my life will have been fulfilled, in my eyes. Life is so complex, and I don't think it's okay to live life trying to take every precaution in order to preserve mine until I'm well over a century old. I just don't see the purpose in that. It all comes back to that word: purpose. And people will probably disagree with me about my idea of human purpose, but I believe it. I believe we are so focused on surviving, that death scares us. And why should it?! It's a natural progression. It's going to happen. Whether as a young child or a seasoned adult, I think our focus should be on living our life and making sure those who are dying around us can die peacefully. Let them go when they're ready. Let them decide. And, if you feel that they can't decide for themselves, then you make the decision. Don't let the questionable nature of the afterlife affect you, and don't you dare be selfish and keep them around for your own well-being. How profound of me, eh?! I don't know...something to think about, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment